When you aren’t happy with the way your skin is naturally aging, it might be difficult to determine what products of services you need – injectables and fillers might all seem to do the same thing but they do them in different ways. The facial aging process varies for each of us. No two faces will age alike. Determining what or how much is needed to for each person is virtually impossible to do without a consultation. The causes of aging, however, are more universal – typically falling into the categories of changes in bone density, loss or displacement of fat, and the breakdown of collagen and elastin. Some factors like bone density changes cannot be prevented. And though lifestyle choices can often affect the others, they may still occur, despite your best efforts. Thankfully, today we are not left to simply accept the changes in our appearance due to aging, and more so, we no longer have to look frozen or plastic in order to combat those effects. Doctors have a better understanding of what causes facial aging and are able to address signs of aging like nasolabial folds, volume loss and facial lines and wrinkles using a wide variety of safe and effective medications like Botox, Dysport, hyaluronic acid fillers, collagen-based stimulators and fillers, and even naturally injected fat and platelet-rich plasma growth factors from your own blood.
The injectable and dermal filler revolution is the driving force behind non-invasive, non-surgical aesthetic treatments and advancements. Just about everybody can benefit from them at some point in time to continue looking young and feeling confident about themselves. The best part – the results are instant with very little downtime! Some treatments address not only the wrinkles themselves, but the muscles that cause the lines and furrows to form; others plump up and recontour to replace volume loss.
What’s the difference between Injectables and Fillers?
“Injectables” and “fillers” are terms you hear floating around a lot, and we use them to categorize our services. Customers are often confused as to which they need – especially since both are actually injected! So, today I’m here to clear up the confusion.
Injectables, in a nutshell, are chemical medications called neurotoxins that are inserted into the skin with a needle. They limit muscle movement to reduce wrinkles. We offer three injectables: Botox, Dysport, and Kybella.
Botox and Dysport treatments inject a medication into the skin to reduce muscle activity that is causing wrinkles. The medication used is Botulinum Toxin. Botulinum toxin is a purified substance that’s derived from bacteria. Injections of botulinum toxin block the nerve signals to the muscle in which it was injected. Without a signal, the muscle is not able to contract. The end result is diminished unwanted facial wrinkles or appearance. Commonly known types of botulinum toxin type A injections include Botox®, Dysport® and Xeomin®.
Kybella’s active ingredient is deoxycholic acid, which is also a naturally occurring molecule, already present in the body. It provides “fat-melting” effects to eliminate fat cells.
- Botox/Dysport/Xeomin: Used in many areas of the body, not just the face. It can reduce sweating when used on the armpits, reduce migraines, as well as reducing wrinkles and fine lines in the face. Results typically last for 3-4 months.
- Kybella: Used commonly in the area underneath the chin to destroy fat cells and improve the appearance of submental fullness or “double chin.” Since the fat cells are destroyed, the results are permanent. Those fat cells will never come back. Kybella use all over the body is emerging in the world of aesthetics so stay tuned for exciting things to come with this product!
These injectable fillers are made of hyaluronic acid or HA. Our natural levels of HA decline with age due to exposure to free radicals and the aging process in general. Women over 50 are estimated to have half the HA they had in their youth. HA is a sugar found naturally in human skin and it has the ability to hold up to 100 times its own weight in water. It is responsible for retaining moisture in the skin. It binds to water similar to the way a sponge absorbs water and hydrates the skin in the treatment region. HA fils the space between collagen and elastin fibers, enhancing the skin’s plumpness.
We offer several dermal fillers because some fillers are better suited for different people, depending on their skin, muscle structure, bone structure, and many other factors. Generally speaking though, we can tell you what they are typically used for:
- Revanesse Versa: Used to correct moderate to severe wrinkles and folds in the skin and can be used in the nasolabial folds, marionette lines and lips.
- Juvederm Ultra: Used to add fullness and plump thin lips. It can be used anywhere!
- Restylane Refyne: Helps correct mild to moderate lines and wrinkles in and around the lips
- Restylane Defyne: Helps correct marionette and nasolabial lines. Excellent for filling fine lines
- Restylane Lyft: Adds fullness to the cheeks and midface area
- Volbella: Used to provide subtle enhancement for lips and reduce vertical lip lines, sometimes known as “smoker’s lines” or “barcode lines”
- Vollure: Used to treat parenthesis lines and wrinkles around the nose and mouth
- Voluma: Used to restore volume to the cheeks
- Sculptra: Used to correct shallow to deep nasolabial folds and other facial wrinkles as well as hollowing in the face from volume loss. It is a progressive result and not instant
How to Determine Which Injectable or Filler You Need
As you can see, many of these medications can be used to treat the same areas. So how do you know what you need? Well, the answer is simple, you schedule a consultation and come in to be examined. It’s virtually impossible to determine which treatment would be best for your individual aesthetic needs without an examination done in person. The reason we offer so many options is so that we can give you the one that best meets your needs. And no, unfortunately, you can’t just send in a photo. That won’t do the trick since you will need to be examined to determine the structure and muscle movement and development of your skin as well. However, with the proper assessment and our skilled injector team, we know you get the results you are wanting.
Subtle transformations that leave you looking younger, more vibrant, and feeling more confident are what we all want to achieve. Schedule your consultation today!